Team Spirit Team Spirit

we love blogging

Thursday 19 March 2009

You don’t know me!

I was reading blog entries by Nigel Hollis, Chief Global Analyst for Millward Brown, one of the world’s leading research companies today.

Two entries struck me and started me thinking. One was about the all pervading (and intrusive?) Facebook. Mr Hollis was saying that most analysts believe Facebook will started monetizing data, using it to target advertising.

So my status notes I am looking forward to my trip to Nepal, and Facebook delivers me Travel Insurance ads. Handy for me, great for advertisers and even better for Facebook. A truly targeted piece of advertising. Brilliant – probably a little irritating after a while and even bordering on slightly creepy, but brilliant nonetheless.

Two weeks earlier Hollis discussed the importance of locally applicable retail, citing the FT article focusing on how the Shanghai launch of Marks and Spencer had not gone according to plan in spite of 20 years experience trading in nearby Hong Kong.

So, what can we gain from this? That some have grasped that what works in one region often fails in another…and that those who want to make a success need to start targeting (and therefore making more cost effective) their communications.

As the world supposedly becomes more global and uniform, it still seems to amaze some that highly targeted advertising, messaging and positioning is important.

Love may be the global language, but communication is by nature essentially local.

James Maxwell
Copywriter

1 comment:

Nigel said...

This is truly scary! Just the topic I have been writing about. Facts travel, emotions don't!